Sunday, February 28, 2016

February Pre Reading

   2. Think of a time when someone close to you lied to you.  Write a blog post that describes what happened; what did they lie about, why did they lie, how did it make you feel, how did the action affect your relationship with that person.

When I look back there is only one major lie in my life that I can recall. This is when my parents lied to me about Santa Claus being real. Now looking back on this it was not that large of a deal, it was a trivial thing. But back then Santa Claus was like part of the family. I believed in him with all of my heart. I wrote letters to him and all of that kid stuff. When I found out that he wasn’t real I was heartbroken. I was torn between my emotions. One part of me wished to keep on believing in him despite what my parents said. Then the other part knew that in my mind I knew deep down all along that Santa was just a silly thing for children to believe in, and that an old man creeping into your house at night and leaving presents was just accepted was crazy. But it was like my whole life, my entire childhood was over. But in reality it didn’t matter. Nothing changed even remotely. I was still receiving and experiencing the same things. All that happened was that my probably ten year old self felt as if I was lied to, and betrayed by my parents for maybe a week or two but after that I was fine. I was just completely over it. My Christmas went back to normal. The only thing different is that I knew I was getting gifts from my parents and not Santa. This wasn’t really a lie, as much as it was a white lie. It was made to make kids happy. There was nothing wrong with that. This didn’t change the way I felt about my parents or anyone who had previously backed up their claims about Santa’s existence. This did not change anything with them. I knew they were only trying to make me happy. So I accepted it and forgave them. In the end nothing really changed and I got over the lie.

1 comment:

  1. I think you make a great point. Sometimes we are lied to and when we find out it hurts, but in the end we understand why it was necessary. Grade: 25/25

    ReplyDelete